Just because summer has faded into the background doesn’t mean you have to pack your suitcases away. Every season is a great time to visit the Oregon coast, and winter is no exception. There’s plenty of fun to be had if you’re planning on visiting Newport and the Embarcadero Resort in the winter months. Don’t be afraid to spend time outdoors exploring the coastline while making memories that’ll last a lifetime.
A Checklist of Top Winter Things to Do in Newport, Oregon
Oregon winters generally mean temperatures in the 40s and 50s with heavy rain. The central and northern coast will experience snowfall in the pass, but only a couple of inches. While Newport may not be a top ski destination, that doesn’t mean it’s not an excellent spot for those looking to get away this winter. When planning out your itinerary, be sure to include some of these top winter activities that can be found in and around Newport.
- Go agate hunting along Nye Beach.
- Stop by the indoor farmer’s market, which runs Saturdays from November through April.
- Set off on a hiking adventure on nearby trails like Hatfield Marine Science Center Estuary Trail or Communications Hill Trail.
- Warm-up with clam chowder at the Chowder Bowl.
- Spend a day exploring the historic bayfront.
- Take a break from the rain and wander the Oregon Coast Aquarium or Hatfield Marine Science Center.
- Enjoy a bit of storm watching, a favorite Oregon coast pastime.
- See if you can spot whales starting their winter migration to the warm Mexico waters on a tour from Cape Perpetua.
- Visit Devils Punchbowl State Natural Area to see winter storms push ocean water through the hollow rock formation.
- Try your hand at crabbing. You can go on a crabbing expedition with a local guide or rent one of our crab boats to set off on your own.
If you’re looking for more recommendations, stop by our front desk to talk with our knowledgeable staff.
Book Your Winter Getaway to Newport
If you’re looking for a relaxing escape this winter, book your Oregon coast getaway at the Embarcadero Resort. Our Newport resort is close to everything you need to make the most out of your Pacific Northwest vacation. We offer a range of room options, all individually designed to offer guests maximum comfort. Don’t forget to check out our various on-site amenities to get the most out of your stay. To learn more about our resort or special promotions, call 541-265-8521.